Sunday, January 16, 2011

Shrimp Salad Sandwiches

It's worth noting that I will be making thousands of substitutions throughout these recipes.  This is either done for taste preferences, or because of availability.  In this case, its a combination of the two.  I will post the recipe as is, tell you what I changed, and tell you if it needs any fixes.  When I have it, I will try to give general nutrition info, but I don't expect to have that most of the time.  Also, I'll try to give credit and location for each recipe if I have it available.

to OK, for this afternoon, we had Shrimp Salad Sandwiches (Light Cooking for Two, pg 157).

Ingredients

  • 3  cups  water
  • 1  pound  unpeeled medium-size fresh shrimp
  • 1/4  cup  nonfat cream cheese, softened
  • 2  tablespoons  sliced green onions
  • 2  tablespoons  diced sweet red pepper
  • 2  teaspoons  nonfat mayonnaise
  • 2  teaspoons  lime juice
  • 1  teaspoon  capers
  • 1/2  teaspoon  dried dillweed
  • 2  (2 1/2-ounce) French rolls

Preparation

Bring water to a boil; add shrimp, and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until shrimp turns pink. Drain well; rinse with cold water. Chill. Peel and devein shrimp.
Combine cream cheese and next 6 ingredients, stirring well. Add shrimp, and toss gently. Cover and chill 1 hour.
Cut a 1/2-inch slice off top of each roll; set tops aside. Hollow out center of rolls, leaving 1/2-inch-thick shells. Reserve excess bread for another use. Place bread shells and tops, cut sides up, on rack of a broiler pan. Broil 5 1/2 inches from heat (with electric oven door partially opened) 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Spoon shrimp mixture evenly into shells; cover with tops.



OK...to start with, I apparently used the recipe as a guide only, lol.  Instead of the shrimp, I used imitation lobster.  I omitted the capers and peppers for taste reasons. I do not have nonfat mayo or cream cheese, but I used light mayo and neufchatel cream cheese.  All in all, I thought this was delicious!  Because we had this for lunch instead of dinner, I didn't serve anything on the side but tea. This was actually amazingly filling, but for dinner I might serve this with cucumbers and onions or some steamed veggies. The calories listed are 311 per serving.  I have zero idea how to convert things like that when making substitutions, so....go with it.

My hubby said that he would prefer less Dill and lime juice.  I eyeballed those measurements so I think if you were very specific on the recipe, you'd be fine.

****  (on a scale of *-*****)

No comments:

Post a Comment