Sunday, January 23, 2011

Easy Bœuf Bourguignon/ Beef Burgundy

OK, so I had some beef cubes and my mom had some leftover red wine.  I never have alcohol in the house, so I have no recipes calling for wine. I looked everywhere for a decent beef burgundy recipe with serving sizes for two.  I had no luck at all.  I found this recipe on All-Recipes and changed the serving amount to two for the correct amounts.  What I liked about this recipe versus many others was it was a one pot dish and very easy.  I found this recipe actually serves more like 3 servings than two so you can adjust accordingly.  Here's the Campbell's recipe as written from AllRecipes.com :


Ingredients

  • 1/2 pound beef sirloin steak or top round steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon chopped onions
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen whole baby carrots
  • 3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons Swanson® Beef Broth (Regular, 50% Less Sodium or Certified Organic)
  • 1/4 cup Burgundy or other dry red wine
  • Hot cooked orzo pasta

Directions

This recipe's Ingredients were scaled to yield a new amount. The directions below still refer to the original recipe yield of 4 servings.

  1. Place the beef in a large bowl. Add the flour and toss to coat.
  2. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until it's well browned, stirring often. Add the onion, garlic, parsley, mushrooms and thyme and cook until the mushrooms are tender. Add the carrots, broth and wine to the skillet and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the beef is cooked through.
  3. Serve the beef mixture over the orzo.

This was YUMMY!!  I didn't really have any substitutions.  I used beef stew meat and broth made from a bouillon cube.  Also, I did not have orzo so I used Acini de pepe. This may be a general theme here, but it needed salt, lol. Also, we both agreed it needed to simmer MUCH longer than the stated cooking time. The meat tasted delicious but it was too tough and the sauce was more soupy than stew.  I think both those problems could be solved if I had allowed it to simmer for an hour instead of the 20 minutes stated.  Like I said though, tasted VERY yummy and this would be a good rainy weather recipe!

****

No comments:

Post a Comment