Sunday, March 17, 2019

Corned Beef and Cabbage (Pressure Cooker)

I know I did Corned beef and cabbage a few years ago, but that was in my slow cooker.  This year, I thought I would break tradition and try it in my electric pressure cooker.  I have an off-brand cooker so I tweeked it to work for mine (Geek Chef).

Ingredients
4 pounds corned beef (preferably flat-cut)
1 medium onion
2 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 pounds potatoes
1 pound carrots
1 head cabbage

Peel and slice the onion. Put the onions and corned beef in the pot. Add the mixed pickling spices and bay leaves, followed by the 4 cups of water.

Lock the lid in place and turn the venting knob to "sealing." Choose the "meat" (or high) setting. Set the time to 1 hour and 25 minutes.

Scrub and peel the potatoes (or leave them unpeeled) and cut them into 1 1/2-inch to 2-inch pieces. Peel the carrots and cut them into 3-inch lengths. If the carrots are quite thick, halve them horizontally. Cut the cabbage into 4 wedges.

When the time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes, then carefully move the knob to "venting." Remove the meat to a cutting board and slice it thinly. Transfer the meat to a platter and cover it with foil to keep warm.

Place all of the vegetables in the pot with the liquid. Lock the lid in place and make sure the venting knob is set to "sealing." I am unable to cook under 10 minutes with anything but the "rice" setting so I chose that and set it for 3 minutes.

After the 3 minutes, quick release to stop the cooking.  Plate, and serve.4

*If you don't have mixed pickling spices, it's easy to make it at home. Combine 1 tablespoon of mustard seeds with 1 teaspoon of whole allspice berries, about 1/2 teaspoon of coriander seeds, 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger, and about 1 inch of a cinnamon stick.

** I didn't have any carrots because I forgot :/


No comments:

Post a Comment