Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chicken Livers Veronique

So for the last couple days my big brother was in town from Colorado.  We ate over at my parent's house so I wasn't doing any cooking :D.  Today of course it was back to work.    Now I will tell you I enjoy the odd chicken liver in a dish, but I have never had a meal starring this ingredient and thought this might be the meal that i wouldn't be able to eat.  We are adventurous sorts and wanted to try new things, so here we went.  Darling hubby followed the directions and made this while I was working.  Here's the recipe as it originally appeared (the serving size is actually for one so we doubled it) in Better Homes and Gardens Meals for One or Two circa 1978, page 11:

Ingredients:
1/4 lb chicken livers
1 Tbl sliced green onion
1 Tbl butter
2 Tbl dry white wine
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
dash pepper
8 seedless green grapes, halved
hot cooked rice

Preparation:
Halve chicken livers.  In a small skillet, cook livers and onion in butter for about 5 minutes or until livers are just barely pink inside.

Combine wine, cornstarch, salt and pepper; add to chicken livers.  Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.  Stir in grape halves.  Serve over rice

Makes 1 serving


Substitutions:  We didn't have any grapes so we didn't use any.  Hubby sprinkled some balsamic vinegar on top at the very end before serving.  Also, we use brown rice instead of white.

Yummy.  Seriously...this was SO good.  I am as surprised as anyone.  I figured it would be good to get my iron up (I've been anemic for years and even after the tumor was removed I'm still a little low on iron) so I would stomach it.  It was delicious!  I highly recommend this to anyone who has a kind, understanding, adventurous spouse.  Ironically enough, hubby said he loved this and would really like to have it again.  One of the pluses, is for a pound and a half of chicken livers, I only spent $2.09.  A rare thing to have a meal for so little.

****

1 comment:

  1. I think I'll try this one in the near future. Chicken livers are a little bit 'sweeter' than beef. Looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete